Friday, 14 March 2014

PEELING BANANAS

My father in law Ken has always peeled his bananas upside down. At least, that’s what we thought until recently. We used to laugh at him because he insisted on holding the stalk in his hand and starting at the other end. You know, the end with the small black spot.

 

We all thought he was just being a typical stubborn Yorkshireman when he insisted, despite our jibes, that this was the correct way and, although it seemed rather unusual and unique, it was us that were wrong and not him. I must confess I was quite scathing about his unusual habit and made more fun of his practice than most members of the family.

 

Well now it’s me that has had to eat humble pie. Or perhaps I should say “banoffe pie”! According to the Internet it seems we were wrong and he was right. Peeling a banana from the “black spot end” rather than the “stalk end” is the way monkeys do it and, it turns out, this is the most efficient way. And I didn’t just take the word of the Web – I tried it! It was a remarkable experience.

 

First, you don’t need a sharp knife or even to attack the “stalk end” with your teeth (unpleasant taste!) but simply squeeze the “black spot end” and the banana pops open and peels neatly into four or five strips. Job done! One small word of warning that Ken didn’t mention … just under the “black spot end” is a little black “spike” that needs to be thrown out. Get rid of that and you can enjoy your banana with the minimum of fuss. Just like a monkey!

 

So here’s my public apology to Ken: SORRY DAD … YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG!

 

People who insist on doing something a certain way despite the critique of the crowd do need a certain amount of moral courage, I think you must agree. Forging ahead in a certain direction when everyone else is headed the other way: that takes determination and inner strength. It reminds me of a few bible heroes who stood up for what they believed in, despite the views of the majority, because they knew it was right. They may not have been peeling bananas but they knew the difference between right and wrong and were prepared to go God’s way rather than the way of the world.

 

By the way, did you hear about the guy in the jungle who met a monkey with a tin opener? He said, "You don't need a tin opener to peel a banana." The monkey said, "No, this is for the custard.”

 

Enjoy your banana, but do it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment