I don’t often write specifically about my job because, in all honesty, I don’t have one! Come off it John! you retort. We all know you work for the church. You’re a vicar. That’s your job.
Well, actually, it isn’t!
Yes, I am a vicar (or “rector” in my case) but it doesn’t actually qualify as a job. Not for me or for any of the other full time clergy in the Church of England. We’re not employed, unemployed or even self-employed – we’re “office holders” and we get paid a “stipend” not a salary. We actually have our very own unique tax bracket!
The idea is that we “work” for nothing but are given a rent-free house and a certain sum of money to cover our living costs and although that figure conforms to regional guidelines it isn’t a salary because the church doesn’t employ us. Some of us belong to a union and many of us now have terms and conditions of service but that still doesn’t make it a “job”.
So I guess that means I’ve been out of work for the last 33 years. Not that that gives me the faintest clue of what it is to be long-term unemployed, to face the dole queue or benefits office or endure the shame and frustration of being unpaid and unwanted. I know a good number in that position and it is heartbreaking and degrading.
I count myself blessed to pursue the vocation I have even though I’m still frequently told vicars only have to work one day a week. I’ve already told you – I don’t work any days! Psalm 90 makes this prayer: May the favour of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us – yes, establish the work of our hands.
Whether you are fortunate enough to be in paid employment, whether you are retired or carrying the burden of unemployment or even if you’re a vicar in the Church of England, I hope you can make this prayer your own. May what you do (paid or unpaid) be established and fruitful. May it be a blessing to others around you.
And may the favour of God rest upon you.
John
No comments:
Post a Comment