Peter Frates is a former Boston College baseball star who was stuck down by the
debilitating condition amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (AL ), also referred to as Motor
Neurone Disorder. What makes Pete famous and what connects him with our
borough and so many other parts of the world is The Ice Bucket Challenge: pouring a bucket of ice-cold water over your head to draw attention to the condition and to
raise money for AL and/or Macmillan Cancer upport.
On Friday, August 29th I reluctantly followed the example of many other “local heroes” when I was soaked by Gof the Clown in t Margaret’s churchyard! He did this in the middle of my fine speech about why the IBC was a waste of water and a subtle form of bullying. So, in the light of that, why did I take the challenge?
Firstly, because Motor Neurone Disorder and similar long-term conditions are serious issues and the work that Macmillan does caring for cancer sufferers is matchless. They were set up to be a "source of support" and a "force for change". I realise that clean water is scarce in many parts of the world and for some their "challenge" is just to carry the precious commodity to the point of need.
So I hope you won’t just tip the
water, take the video and display your madness on Facebook. Please be generous in giving to MND and Macmillan as well and remember those like Pete Frates.
Secondly, I really did do it for Fun! My friends who are disabled or suffering from
cancer are among the bravest and brightest people I know and they would be the last to avoid a soaking for the sake of being politically correct.
As the late Robin Williams said: “You're only given a spark of madness. You musn't lose it.”
No comments:
Post a Comment