I was remarking to a friend the other day what fun it would be to start my own political party in the General Election, had I but the time and the money. I would call it “The Common Sense Party” because, in my naïve way, I think that is mainly what is missing in the way we do things today.
Our strapline would be something like: “Common Values, Common Vision, Common Sense – Common Join us!” We’d pull together a large group of likeminded people and try to inject a bit more naïve realism into society: a bit more compassion, a bit more down-to-earth sensibleness. But that’s probably how most of the other political parties started, isn’t it?
My party would put a penny in the pound on income tax for each of education, health and policing because, after all, you only get what you pay for. We’d stop trying to bribe the public with promises of more for less because common sense says you can’t cut taxes AND provide better services. We’d celebrate diversity and welcome people from other parts of the world who were willing to work and adopt common sense British values.
Most of all we’d also expect those with more to support those with less. As Voltaire says: “with great power comes great responsibility.” Nobody needs £50,000 a week, whether they’re a banker or a star footballer and certainly nobody should be living on the streets or wondering how they’ll feed their kids tomorrow.
Jesus’ manifesto said something about us needing to be like salt and light in society and offering good news to the poor. Real practical application of that sort of attitude could revolutionise politics!
You won’t be able to vote for my party I’m afraid but whoever you do vote for, consider carefully and please use your common sense!
No comments:
Post a Comment